JACKSON ELECTRIC MEMBERSHIP CORPORATION
Communication Department Internship
I. POSITION OBJECTIVES
To support the Communication department to ensure tasks are completed as needed. To provide support to internal customers as needed. To work on projects as directed which may include working with active employees and retirees to provide effective and correct communication as desired by Jackson EMC.
EDUCATION: Must be enrolled in an accredited school, pursuing either an Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in communication or related field.
EXPEREINCE: Experience with basic communication concepts and social media platforms similar to those used at Jackson EMC is preferred. Prefer interest in creative writing, photography, and public relations with business or industry. Prefer experience working in digital media.
KNOWLEDGE: Must possess a basic knowledge of the principles and practices of effective communication, writing and community relations. Requires a basic knowledge of photography and word processing as applied to news interest and publication.
SKILLS: Must have excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to work in a team environment. Require the ability to strategize and create digital communications messages and plan and produce effective written and visual communications materials.
Reports to: Reports to: Director, Public Relations and Communication
Internal: Shall foster the development of those supportive relationships essential to the fulfilling of the functions of this position, achieving the results expected and encouraging throughout the organization the concepts of teamwork and cooperative spirit.
External: Shall maintain supportive relationships with member consumers, the general public and other contacts to assure that satisfactory results are achieved.
Physical activity of the position: Hearing, talking, repetitive motions.
Physical requirements: Sedentary work.
Visual Acuity: Machine operator (including inspections).
Conditions: Not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
IV. The employee is encouraged to use initiative and sound business judgment in working for the best interests of the Cooperative. This position description is not intended to restrict but to give direction and guidance for each employee in defining and performing his or her job. The employee is encouraged to use initiative and sound business judgment in working in the best interest of the Cooperative. The essential functions of this position do not include marginal functions that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. The scope and duties of a given position may change or be temporarily altered based on the business needs of Jackson Electric Membership Corporation. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship.
V. POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
To fulfill the objectives of the position the employee so designated shall have full and complete authority to carry out the responsibilities assigned to this position, making all decisions necessary within the limits of approved budgets, policies, and system practices.
Essential functions of the job:
1. Develop, write and post content to Jackson EMC social media outlets and website; monitor outlets for member/public feedback.
2. Work with Manager of Member Communication to maintain effective member communication by developing content for member newsletter and digital signs.
3. Work with the Community Relations Representative to maintain effective relationships with local community organizations, clubs and school groups through youth and community contact programs.
4. Write and coordinate press releases for local media as required to publicize the cooperative’s products, services, activities, community and civic involvement.
5. Prepare and deliver presentations to community, civic and youth groups.
6. Assist Multimedia Communications Representative with multimedia database development, including working to schedule photography.
7. Monitor media coverage of cooperative products, services and activities, and report on trends; make recommendations for news releases and/or other publicity events.
8. Work with the company’s advertising agency to promote Jackson EMC’s products, services, business and community involvement activities; assist in monitoring news media coverage to evaluate media relations effectiveness, recommending appropriate action as needed.
9. Assist the Manager of Employee Communication with story logging and writing the cooperative’s employee newsletter, Jemclips, and material for the cooperative’s intranet, J Today, as well as helping to create monthly reports.
10. Plan and coordinate non-Business Meeting aspects of the cooperative’s Annual Meeting; plan and implement special programs for the cooperative’s employees, such as annual breakfasts, picnics, etc.
11. Plan and implement programs to maintain and enhance relations with the company’s retired work force.
12. Prepare and present youth and adult group information demonstrations and programs.
13. Actively participate in community activities, clubs and organizations; represent the company at allied school/professional development groups as directed.
14. Provide for the proper utilization of applicable photographic, audio and visual aid equipment and other technical equipment as required.
15. Assist with the preparation of the Division work plan and budget.
16. Be familiar with and follow the best safety practices set forth in the company’s Accident Prevention Manual.
17. Perform such other duties as may be required or directed.