JACKSON ELECTRIC MEMBERSHIP CORPORATION
Senior AccountantFinance, Accounting & Risk Management Jefferson - Corporate Office, GA
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Jackson EMC has a high interest in priority referrals of protected veterans for our job openings.
There is one (1) Full Time opening
Equal Opportunity Employer
POSITION OBJECTIVES: To provide efficient and accurate recording and summarization services associated with Cooperative financial transactions, records, and reports so as to assist in assuring a sound overall financial accounting operation for the department and Cooperative; to work and communicate in a team-oriented environment in accordance with the Cooperative’s mission, vision, and values.
MINIMUM JOB SPECIFICATIONS:
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
EDUCATION: Require Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration with a major in accounting. Prefer CPA, Master of Accounting, or MBA.
EXPERIENCE: Require a minimum of two (2) years of experience in accounting or related work. Prefer experience in using the RUS/FERC Uniform System of Accounts and working experience in the accounting and finance area of an electric utility company. Prefer experience in sales tax return preparation.
KNOWLEDGE: Require a working knowledge of the principles, theories, and practices of accounting and finance as prescribed by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Prefer knowledge of automated information systems and RUS Uniform System of Accounts which must be evidenced by successful completion of the U. S. Department of Agriculture Graduate School's course titled - RUS Borrower Accounting (Electric). Require a willingness to pursue a continuous program of self-development both inside and outside of work hours in furthering his/her knowledge to develop in the job and accept increasing responsibilities.
SKILLS: Require effective leadership skills, excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to work in a team environment. Require the ability to understand accounting procedures and to perform accurate work within established time schedules and procedural guidelines. Require the ability to prepare sales tax returns. Must understand and have the ability to prepare completed trial balances and financial reports. Must be proficient in the use of a PC to effectively perform the duties of the position including, but not limited to, spreadsheet and word processing applications. Require interpersonal skills to maintain effective work relationships and obtain desired results. Must be able to determine needs for improvement and make recommendations and contribute to the development of work programs, budgets, work flow, and improved methods. Requires the ability to pursue a continuous program of self-development both inside and outside of work hours in furthering his/her knowledge to develop in the job and accept increasing responsibilities.
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS AND CONDITIONS:
Reports to: Supervisor of Accounting
Internal: Actively participates within the Cooperative team environment to develop supportive relationships essential to the success of the functions of this position, achieving the results expected and encouraging throughout the organization the concepts of teamwork and cooperative spirit.
External: Develops and maintains supportive relationships with member/consumers, the general public, and other external contacts to assure positive results.
This position is primarily sedentary work; requires visual acuity in machine operation with inspection; requires ability to hear, talk, and perform repetitive motions; and is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
The following are the essential duties of this position and do not include marginal functions that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. The scope and duties of a given position may change or be temporarily altered based on the needs of Jackson Electric Membership Corporation. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment document.
1. Ensure the books are closed accurately and in a timely manner by managing the monthly process and close dates for the department.
2. Review accounts payable invoices to ensure the appropriate supporting documents are attached, there is proper authorization, and sales tax is appropriately included.
3. Record Cash Construction Fund transactions to the general ledger.
4. Oversee the recordkeeping and reconciliation of funds loaned by the cooperative to our customers, including but not limited to ERC loans.
5. Ensure that fixed and general journal entries, cash receipts, accounts receivable, payroll distributions, consumer deposits, and other entries are accurately posted to the general ledger.
6. Enter and reconcile budgeted expense account amounts into our financial accounting system.
7. Prepare trial balance of general ledger.
8. Prepare financial and statistical reports according to prescribed guidelines including report to Board of Directors.
9. Prepare the monthly and annual Financial and Statistical Report (Form 7) for submission to the Rural Utilities Service (RUS).
10. Prepare required sales tax returns as required by law.
11. Run and distribute monthly: actual vs. budgeted expense reports and department/district general ledgers.
12. Maintain necessary records of board of directors’ fees to ensure proper preparation of 1099’s.
13. Reconcile subsidiary accounting records for general plant accounts.
14. Review cash receipts to ensure all are accounted for and classified appropriately.
15. Make journal entries to close general ledger for fiscal year.
16. Assist Cooperative auditors by maintaining audit schedules and providing necessary working papers, explanations, and documentation of Cooperative records.
17. Complete assigned monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
18. Be familiar with and follow the best safety practices set forth in the Cooperative's Safety Manual.
19. Attend and participate in annual meeting as required or directed.
20. Perform such other activities as may be required or directed.